Friday, August 17, 2018

Calvin Girvin, Author, Alien Abductee and Saucerian Spy



In late 1956, Calvin C. Girvin began speaking about his series of flying saucer experiences. He'd recently been discharged from 
the Air Force where he'd served as a staff sergeant, and at the age of thirty, he was taking on a second career as a flying saucer lecturer. Girvin's tale was unique. 

While the other Contactees were invited into saucers, Girvin woke from his bed at night to be commanded to come aboard a glowing spaceship. By his account, Girvin can be considered to be one of the first reported alien abductees.


Long Beach Press Telegram, Sept. 13, 1956
Girvin spoke at Giant Rock saucer convention in 1957 in advance of his book’s release, and thereafter had a busy lecturing career both solo at local venues and alongside major Contactee figures at national conferences.  
Thy Kingdom Come - No 5. June, 1957 (PDF link)

In 1958, Girvin's book, The Night Has a Thousand Saucers was published by Daniel Fry's Understanding Publishing Co. One of the stories it told was how late in World War II Girvin had been killed or nearly killed by machine gun fire in the Pacific, but was healed and revived by alien. Girvin recovered these memories years later via automatic writing, and there’s a problem with the story, as he joined the service in November 9, 1945, when the war was already over.

Santa Cruz Sentinel Feb. 22, 1959
According to Girvin's book, the alien re-animator possessed his body, making him a forerunner of the "walk-ins."  After the war, Girvin was in contact aliens Cryxtan and Ashtar from Venus, who told him to join the Air Force so they he could spy for them to find out how much the US military knew about flying saucers - Gorvin did so, and even managed to get stationed in the Pentagon, but in food services, so his access to classified material was limited. The Venusians later commanded Girvin to write a book, and he did so, chronicling his spiritual and physical encounters. Girvin even painted the cover illustration, which depicted his encounter with the same type of flying saucer from Venus that George Adamski had described.

Girvin's book helped secure him more speaking engagements. There are many notices of his engagements, but below is one of the rare reviews of his lectures.

Pasadena Independent, Feb. 19, 1959

1959 seems to be the peak of Girvin's popularity. He was featured alongside two other famous flying saucer figures on a national television program, "People Are Funny. 


Thy Kingdom Come - No 8. March-April 1959 (PDF link)

Later the same year, he announced a second book, "In Search Of The Saucers," but it doesn't seem to have ever been published.  However, he did paint the cover for Howard Menger’s book, From Outer Space to You.



Calvin Girvin was also on hand for the (aborted) launch of Otis T. Carr's flying saucer in Oklahoma City on April 17, 1959. Girvin was interviewed about his book and experiences for the Long John Nebel radio show on WOR. Link to recording:



Gabriel Green, of the Amalgamated Flying Saucer Clubs of America was the most frequent host for Girvin's lectures, and he continued speaking throughout the late 1950s and the 1960s. Perhaps even beyond 1969, but there's little documentation of Girvin's later years. There's evidence his interest in the paranormal remained strong, though. Ingo Swann was a superstar psychic, a key player in the CIA's Project Star Gate Remote Viewing program. The University of West Georgia hosts the Ingo Swann Papers, and it contains correspondence from Calvin Girvin on remote viewing and other topics beyond conventional science:
"5 Jun 1994 typed letter from Calvin Girvin to Ingo Swann discussing his personal experiences with the paranormal and his lifelong interest in many subjects. Enclosed with an article Girvin authored “Magnetic Bra Prevents Breast Cancer” along with several notes about the biomagnetic differences between the north and south poles and their uses in energy medicine. (eight leaves), 1994"
That's the last documented UFO-related contact we could find for Girvin, and the only other information we could find was the date of his death, May 14, 2005, given as the site, Kook Science. That's the end of the story, but we saved the perhaps most interesting part for last, Girvin's early contact with the the legendary wee folk of Hawaii.

Meeting the Metahunes

Months before Calvin C. Girvin became known on the mainland for his flying saucer contact, he was in the Hawaii news for having encounters with their pixie or troll-like Menehunes. Girvin already had some rich experiences under his belt, some psychic in nature, and he had plans to write a book.


Honolulu Star Bulletin July 30, 1956
Calvin Girvin's story is full of incredible experiences, such as healing by aliens and channeling messages. Such things were not taken seriously then by ufology. Times change.

As with so many of the most interesting UFO cases featured here at The Saucers That Time Forgot, Project Blue Book has no files on Girvin's encounters.

Click this link for additional newspaper stories on Calvin C. Girvin.
. . .


Title Trivia

For the title of his book, Girvin unknowingly borrowed a line from the 1873 poem "Light" by Francis William Bourdillon: 
The Night has a thousand eyes,And the Day but one;Yet the light of the bright world diesWith the dying sun.
The mind has a thousand eyes,And the heart but one;Yet the light of a whole life diesWhen love is done.


3 comments:

  1. Interesting article. I was wondering if you might clarify when he supposedly was contacted by 'Ashtar' as I've only seen references to 'Cryxtan.' (Willard Wannall who was over in Hawai'i at the same time as Girvin does mention Ashtar in Wheels Within Wheels.)

    You also mention that "..his access to classified material was limited." However it is worth quoting from his book for further clarification:

    p. 66 "My duties were simple. Each morning I roused a general, asked what he would like for breakfast, prepared and served it, and washed the dishes he had used. After this I made gallons of coffee to be ready for serving around ten o'clock to generals who held meetings in the War Room-a strictly "top secret" place. I sharpened pencils, laid them beside tablets on the big table in this room, together with napkins and ash trays. In short, I made the generals as comfortable as possible."

    "There were several telephones in this room including one which connected directly with an instrument at the President's bedside in the White House. As I went in and out of this room, I overheard much of what was being discussed there, but it was "top secret" with me too. I knew my job depended upon this; besides, I was a loyal U.S.A. man and we had to win the war."

    NOTE:
    The 'War Room' was also known as the 'Air Force Command Post' which was one of the places where the commanders were meant to gather in time of national emergency.

    Continuing: pp. 66-68 "Soon I was making friends with the generals, top colonels and other important men in the command staff. Whenever possible, I talked to these men about flying saucers and got their opinion about them. In my leisure time which was usually on week-ends, I went to the command post and read much secret matter on the flying saucer subject."
    "I cannot at this time reveal things of great importance, for I am still held to a top secret clearance, even though I am no longer with the military. I can only state that many of the reports I read would astound and perhaps alarm any ordinary citizen. The Air Force regarded the flying saucer situation a real problem, in spite of what they stated to the press."
    "Whenever I talked with an officer in that "inner sanctum" and mentioned saucers, the back of my neck would feel odd and when I rubbed it I would notice that my hair was standing straight up as if magnetized. This also occurred when I was digging through files on the subject, and I thought Cryxtan or some of his companions were acting in a monitory capacity toward me. I guessed that my mission was to provide them with information that was difficult for them to acquire. At any rate, my job in top secret level only lasted six months. Perhaps I had been asking too many questions from high ranking men, and they got too suspicious. Anyway, one morning I was refused admittance to the command post and asked in no uncertain terms to remove myself from that area. I was replaced."

    COMMENT: (!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashtar is mentioned by two separate reviewers at Amazon in their descriptions of Girvin's book. https://www.amazon.com/Night-Has-Thousand-Saucers/dp/1519637497

      Delete
  2. Continuing, from The Night has a Thousand Saucers: pp. 67-69 "I wondered just where I would be sent next, and I felt as if my mission had not yet been completed in the Washington locale."
    "Within a few days I was told to report to Andrews Field, twelve miles from Washington. After I had reported to the correct address, I found myself in another food service department. I realized that I was to learn much about flying saucers here, for it was at Andrews Field that many sightings had taken place during the past year. Now I wanted to see the reports of those sightings."
    "It took several months of trying to meet the right people before I got to read the highly guarded reports and see several highly guarded photographs of flying saucers. I began to realize that my research was dangerous business, that I might get into some serious trouble, so I began to slow down. I resumed my duties as cook, nearly full time, giving myself time to think things out."
    "I took over the position of secretary of the Airmen's Open Mess, and I made many new friends among the members. All of them were helpful in supplying me with facts about the saucers and I was gathering as much information as possible before I had a change of station which I felt was coming."
    "One man in particular was very helpful. He was a photographer who had taken pictures during the saucer season of July, 1952, and he seemed quite eager to talk of the experience he had been a part of. But from him I learned many things I had not known before. I asked him to give me one or more of the pictures he had shown me, or even a copy of one, but he refused. Of course I understood his position and pressed him no farther. It had been a rare privilege to see the pictures, and even to obtain a copy of them had been wishful thinking on my part."

    ReplyDelete

UFO Lecturer, Ed Ruppelt of Project Blue Book

Flying Saucers:  “I realize this is a big thing. I never, even while I was working in the Air Force, I never realized what a big, big thing ...